Posting for a new employee
1. Who is interviewing is giving you clues about the company
I like when you are stepping into a new company. Although right now I'm more sensitive to the external signals (thanks Agatha !) and body language of the people interviewing me. I'm like an sponge ready to absorb and confront my ideas/past experiences with what's happening at that right moment. I'll enumerate my first days in every company I worked for, and I how I evolved from a timid and shy vegetable to a sly dog ( I like to compliment myself, till someone will do it in the posts !).
At one job interview, the guys invited me to a table where a dried noodle were wrinkled in a corner. Not big deal, after a Eastern-European ( a.k.a Russian like) army service experience but that told me the lax atmosphere, the informal relationship and a flat organization hierachy. I was in a suit, tie and shinny shoes, leather briefcase and eager to impress.
One of the guys came in t-shirt I usually wear only in bedroom. Conclusion? People were not judged by appearances, they searched for skills.
No coffee, water or something else was offered. At the end I understood, they were survivors and defeated some frugal periods. Most of them were with the company for a long time and managed to keep the things running. They were inventive and resourcefulness.
2. Keep close to people you know (or birds of the same feather fly together)
First job, during the last year in University, one of my assistants recommended me to a company working for a West-European country. Fast frugal interview, because everyone knew everyone and they knew about me. Not big deal, EVERY TIME RELATIONSHIPS ROCK !
During that time, I rooted for another concurrent company, they had more fun, I had a few acquaintances working there and wished to be in more familiar surroundings. Interviewed, enjoyed it and left that day with another idea in my mind - you could work for yourself. Do it, as long as you could prove yourself those ideas.
After a few years, I arrived in Canada, hoping that my experience is something I can build upon. Well, the Canadian economy is full of engineers driving taxis or working as Master Electricians or bankers from Asia running neck-in-neck with twelve grads tellers. Does it matter that one year ago you co-sign on M&A papers in Egypt/Marocco/etc...? Your work experience is zero or almost null. Forget your education in law or medicine. A nurse is better viewed that your residence practice in surgery in the biggest hospital in Bulgaria.
1. Who is interviewing is giving you clues about the company
I like when you are stepping into a new company. Although right now I'm more sensitive to the external signals (thanks Agatha !) and body language of the people interviewing me. I'm like an sponge ready to absorb and confront my ideas/past experiences with what's happening at that right moment. I'll enumerate my first days in every company I worked for, and I how I evolved from a timid and shy vegetable to a sly dog ( I like to compliment myself, till someone will do it in the posts !).
At one job interview, the guys invited me to a table where a dried noodle were wrinkled in a corner. Not big deal, after a Eastern-European ( a.k.a Russian like) army service experience but that told me the lax atmosphere, the informal relationship and a flat organization hierachy. I was in a suit, tie and shinny shoes, leather briefcase and eager to impress.
One of the guys came in t-shirt I usually wear only in bedroom. Conclusion? People were not judged by appearances, they searched for skills.
No coffee, water or something else was offered. At the end I understood, they were survivors and defeated some frugal periods. Most of them were with the company for a long time and managed to keep the things running. They were inventive and resourcefulness.
2. Keep close to people you know (or birds of the same feather fly together)
First job, during the last year in University, one of my assistants recommended me to a company working for a West-European country. Fast frugal interview, because everyone knew everyone and they knew about me. Not big deal, EVERY TIME RELATIONSHIPS ROCK !
During that time, I rooted for another concurrent company, they had more fun, I had a few acquaintances working there and wished to be in more familiar surroundings. Interviewed, enjoyed it and left that day with another idea in my mind - you could work for yourself. Do it, as long as you could prove yourself those ideas.
After a few years, I arrived in Canada, hoping that my experience is something I can build upon. Well, the Canadian economy is full of engineers driving taxis or working as Master Electricians or bankers from Asia running neck-in-neck with twelve grads tellers. Does it matter that one year ago you co-sign on M&A papers in Egypt/Marocco/etc...? Your work experience is zero or almost null. Forget your education in law or medicine. A nurse is better viewed that your residence practice in surgery in the biggest hospital in Bulgaria.
Comments