Photo by Michael Longmire on Unsplash
This post is a convergence of my thoughts after re-reading a few books I always recommended for novice investors:
- The little book of common sense investing by John Bogle
- Where are the customer's yachts by Fred Schwed
- Thieves of Bay Street by Bruce Livesey (for Canadian investors)
- The Four pillars of investing by Michael Bernstein
I am writing because I have friends who don't have the time/inclination and maybe curiosity to look a little bit deeper than the Yahoo financial articles and Motley Fool articles about investing (where people are goaded to consider different companies just because arguments are presented with catchy pseudo-reasons). They are at an age where planning for retirement should be a priority but, for some reason, the basic education of how to do it escapes them completely.
I was in their shoes and get "licked" big time and learnt my lessons, which I will just state here. If you need proofs or explanations please spent some time and read the books I mentioned in the first paragraph.
- If it is possible, try to build an investment portfolio based on the couch potato's ideas
- invest in the whole market, both stocks and bonds or even larger - real-estate, commodities, stocks, bonds and even art
- minimize management fees as much as possible (ideally buy Vanguard funds or even cheaper variants with the same sector profile)
- re-balance once per year and adjust based on how close are you to the period where you need to use the funds
- split the money maturity in buckets (5-10, >10 years, > 20 years)
- don't panic when the sky is falling and be aware it is happening for all of the people around you
- and the real kicker: THE 1% IS MUCH MORE AFFECTED THAN YOU WHEN THE SKY IS FALLING !
- if you need financial advisors search for the ones who are getting paid by the time you ask for advice rather than being paid a percentage of your portfolio, no matter what is their performance managing your money (or even worse, having a liberty to do it in your name based on a fuzzy classification of your "risk-appetite")
If the terms of your investments are vague or seem opaque is it because if you start to dig and do some calculation on the back of a napkin of the money you are loosing, the amount compounded over time is mind blowing.
If you add the fact that only a very short percentage of the money managers (less than 15%) are beating the whole market return for 15-20 years then the "run-for-the-exit" impulse is the first reaction.
I got bitten many times by the small print and easy fixes in different accounts I had with different financial institutions. Over time I realized that taking care of your retirement plan in a non-hazardous manner is not only better but also leaves you time to really do something else than just be the mouse in the wheel-house of the banks.

Comments