Photo by Gabriel B,
My travels plans are not happening overnight,
just because I want to relax or decompress. Most of the time I see places first in documentaries or movies or read about them and then I start to sketch a plan. When a seed is planted I dig information and try to understand if there is more than my impulse of getting to the place: if they have incredible places to photograph or scenery with unique characteristics, the better.
Today I will unfold my plan to visit Corsica. I am a big fan of TV5, the French broadcasting channel which over the years introduced me to many amazing places through their documentaries - Thalassa, Des racines et des ailes, Passez moi les jumelles.
In one of the documentaries, a young tour guide lady (Magali Vermeglio) was filmed while hiking GR20 and the beauty of the landscape and the roughness of the peaks just gotten me started. The only problem is that we are a family of two - dad and daughter (8 years old). Can we manage GR20, together? In most of the blogs on Internet everyone is expressing their doubts that a normal person can handle it, without a thorough physical training.
I am an active person, running and playing tennis every week. My daughter is having karate lessons a few times a week but not much of a cardio training. Both of us love riding bikes, but again, it is not that much intensive. My conundrum was mostly if my daughter can climb for 5-6 hours at the time and then sleep in a tent (my plan was to use our tent). We are used to camping and handling the type of nomadic life for a few days in a tent.You can find a lot of information about scenery and beaches and historic buildings or even sporty excursions in Corsica but not too much about hiking GR20 with kids. And as hiking has to be combined with something else, my mission was to find the balance between spending time on the beaches and in the mountains.
First I had to find the way to get Corsica and the ferry was the best way for us (flying from Toronto to Rome, Rome to Livorno by train, Livorno to Bastia by ferry). I realized GR20 is not feasible and only daily hikes were the only choice for us.
My plan was to be lodged in one location and then drive every day for a different hike. I was thinking to schedule a few easy hikes for my daughter in order to test the waters and also determine if she wants to go without me goading her. Then for the first few days I planned to go on the well-known trails and be accustomed with the type of terrain in Corsica's mountains.
I rented a car in Corsica and had some trepidations for driving there:
- the roads in mountains were steep and narrow
- you have to drive manual (which I love) and then because it was only both of us I chose a compact car
- I knew about European drivers are a little bit rough with parking and handling parking spots
- the motorcycles over-passing cars in situation not quite safe
The next posts are about our adventures in Corsica - the isle of beauties.



Comments