We
were stationed in Lucciana, one hour south of Bastia and all our hikes were around Corte, another 50 minutes south west. Both lakes - Melu and Capitellu - are famous due to the Restonica gorges, people are coming to enjoy the small pools along the stream. I searched for Restonica gorge and the car's navigation system just had it as POI.
The first shock, off Corte town, was the small road leading to Restonica gorges, were you have to carefully drive and negotiate the curbs with incoming traffic. There is one lane and a half and from place to place spaces where to cars can pass along each other. I haven't yet met obnoxious drivers in Corsica, all of them are trying to accommodate to the road conditions. Once we have reached the paying parking lot, the signs were showing one hour and forty-five minutes for lake Melu. I hiked in many countries, but this trail was busy like a side-walk to supermarket. The last part of the hike to reach the platform of the lake Melu was a little abrupt and augmented with two segments with chains or metallic stairs.
The majority of the hikers stopped at lake Melu, sunbathing, relaxing, having a picnic or simply resting. Emma was tired and wanted back. It was 2 PM and the signs were showing another forty-five minutes which looked like a steep hike for lake Capitellu. We started slowly and hoped for at least one hour and a half ascent. The path is made of slabs or sharp stones, it is not easy for your feet. The views are impressive, the majority of the people are concentrated on the path or looking up to find a better alternative to the small boulders spread everywhere.
On the way up I saw a large group of hikers led by a woman I thought I recognized as being the character of the documentary which was the seed of my trip to Corsica - Magali Vermeglio. She is one of the founders of Altre Cime, a company organizing hikes in Corsica, especially on the GR20. I stopped and asked her in French if her name is Magali and after her positive reply I reminded her about the TV5 documentary about GR20. She turned to her group and stated "it seems I am famous". An interesting twist of events to see the woman who is hiking GR20 as a job and "convinced" me, through said documentary, to visit Corsica. I saw her when we were descending, having dinner with the whole group. Maybe next time when we will meet I will ask her for a photo group!
It was a long way up and we reached lake Capitellu around 3:45'. Emma was after the tiredness phase and realized which was our goal for the day. Just a few people were resting around lake Capitellu and the dark colour of the lake I captured it in the pictures below.
Dark blue, still waters, large slabs of granite bordering the lake created an interesting mood of the shots. A group of birds were splitting the sky with black plunges from above. I heard a few splashes and two people were jumping in water. We met them at descent - they did not have any backpack, they looked like city tourists after having a crazy idea.
We were among the last people coming down, slowly, with the darkness and cold arriving upon us.
It was a long day and I told Emma she was my hero for that day and, not losing the opportunity, she asked for a new game on iPad - Sims 4. I obliged and we remained with the habit to celebrate any memorable daily victories through small gifts or indulging in small pleasures.
P.S If you want to see the movie about GR20, please see the link.
Comments