The taxi boat
for Saleccia beach was a retirees business, a pair which found a new way to stretch their money. If you were a fan of the Netflix movies showing Brits moving down south, that would be a perfect example.
We arrived one hour earlier just to stroll San Florent (San Firenzu) and visit the stores close to central plaza. I ordered an artisan gelato for Emma while I was tasting some Corsican peaches. I don't know why the hype with the beach, maybe because the color of the water and the gentle entry, no rocks and many boats anchored not far from the shore. The boat ride was speedy and bumpy (they wanted to carry as much people to the beach). I was concerned because Emma was the only kid in the group and everyone was grabbing the bars in order to keep their balance. No hats or flying scarfs were allowed and Emma's hair was getting a blow, which she liked it. Reaching the shore we jumped in the water and walked to the beach.Just from the visit to Carrefour, I installed an umbrella and the beach towels. I had to pick an umbrella ready to be folded in the big luggage. There is no shade on the beach and the hot temperature forced everyone in the water or under umbrellas. Many tourists were sleeping in the shade. Emma stayed in the water and looked at the kids, at their games and tried a few "courageous" swimming adventures. Our time slot for visiting was between 2pm and 7.15 pm. Many people were coming from a nearby camping site and enjoyed that long European vacation. I did not have that feeling of laziness and no worries in ages, that you can decipher on their face. Even for this short vacation I had to take care of what to do everyday. It was not planned too much in advance. The hikes were determined by browsing the internet and then, by chance, buying one book about famous trails in Corsica. The San Petrano peak was one of the recommended hike and even in that one, at the beginning I managed to get lost in the first 2 kilometers.
Later in the afternoon (after 6 PM) the light became nice and I wander up the dune to take some pictures. There is a trail between Saleccia and Lotu beaches but having a limited time we stayed put.
Take a look at my attempts to make that place attractive to you.
At the end of the day, the light has the honey accents, the shadows get amplitude and the architecture is flooded with horizontal light. In certain places is the best time to take pictures and Corsica has many spots like that.
On the road back, in the semi-dark of the dawn, I had two nice opportunities. One was on descending a mountain with the horizon displaying waves of peaks in different shades (I call it - 50 shades of grey in photography). The other was a white village on a slope of a mountain.
I wasted the first one because there was no space on the shoulder to stop the car, and stopped at the second site. That was the dilemma in Corsica, where to stop and how not to hinder the traffic on tight roads.
I hope you will enjoy the pictures of the second site!
Comments